Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Orienting

In addition to moving in to my house here (woot!) and getting to know the routines of Agahozo-Shalom (rice, tea and learning Kinyarwanda constitute a big part of it), I'm in the midst of week 2 of 3 weeks of orientation. Week one was in New York with the JDC staff and now I spend my days in a classroom with the other volunteers, house mothers, counselors and other staff orienting ourselves to the ways of Agahozo-Shalom.

To give you a sense of what I'm doing for a good chunk of the day, I thought I'd manually create a word cloud by entering words that jumped out from my notes into Wordle. Check it:



Thanks, http://www.wordle.net/

Clearly I'm spending a lot of time on values, principles, and other ideas that will make this village feel like a supportive and empowering family. A little different from my last job where our orientation was mainly sessions on how a bill becomes a law and health care reform. Also, the fact that there are many cultures combining for this orientation makes it especially different. Everything is translated from English to Kinyarwanda or vice-versa, and at least once, ironically during the "Communication" session, from Hebrew to English to Kinyarwanda. Phew!

Today we went on a scavenger hunt to find important things around the village. A few photos from the farm segment of the tour:


Ange shows off the tomatoes.


Cabbage and the view from the farm


Solomon introduces us to the baby cows

It is fun getting to know and bond with the Rwandan staff. We all have the same mission, and yet such different backgrounds that I know I'll learn A LOT from working with them.

And now, my Kinyarwanda phrase of the day (well I also learned the word for salt, but it is really hard and has about 100 "u"s in it): Inzozi Nziza - Sweet Dreams!

5 comments:

  1. What prompted Respect to be such a big part of your notes? Obvi its important in any intercultural interaction, but was there anything in particular that prompted it? - Matt R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt-good q! actually very little is about intercultural interaction now - im with the rwandan staff and i think they assume we went through that training in new york (we did). respect ended up being the answer to a lot of questions that were asked in the training. why practice time management? what are important pillars of rwandan culture? how should we treat the students' pasts? what values do we want to teach?

    thanks for reading, my anti-genocide partner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just cought up on your adventures. Miss you and thinking of you my girl. Keep saving the world! You are inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps. what is your contact info (i.e. phone numbers, mailing address, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. pps. made me think of you/us/undying friendship/secrets/high school:http://xkcd.com/671/

    ReplyDelete