Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Less Important Issue

The last few days have been a whirlwind of cleaning and planning to get ready for the 2nd ever class of kids at Agahozo-Shalom.  Since my future posts will likely be about the kids, my trips and post-conflict anti-genocide thoughts, I thought I'd use this post for some fluff.

We've been cleaning up a storm and I thought it might be worthwhile to solicit some advice re: cleaning, since its become clear I have a lot to learn.  Since I've been here I've become an excellent mopper (see below as we all revel in my graduation from swiffer), but I'm still climbing the shower learning curve.




The showers here are quite nice, in that 1) they work, 2) they have showerheads and faucets and 3) I have one in my room!  But a few things make showering a bit harder.  First, the water's cold.  In Ghana, I loved any kind of shower but here I get less dirty and much of the day it is chilly, not stiflingly Ghana hot, and a cold shower is just kind of freezing.  Second, the drain isn't really at the lowest point in the shower, so any shower usually should involve me standing in some sort of bucket. 

None of this is so bad, really, but it generally involves a choice.  Using various bucket dumping/faucet running options I can choose two of the three for each shower:
1) Get all the soap out of my hair.
2) Don't flood my bathroom (or, ack, my room).
3) Don't freeze.

At this point choosing 1 and 3 make the most sense. but I'm still deciding.  Any thoughts??

2 comments:

  1. This... sounds far too difficult. And sometimes I think not flooding your bathroom/room is more important than getting the soap out of your hair. Hmm. Not freezing should probably always be numero uno.

    ReplyDelete
  2. today i had to opt for no flood/no freeze as my water slowed to a trickle! thanks for advice, also maybe use less soap

    ReplyDelete